August 24, 2009

On That Note...

I know I just said I was going to take a break, but then I discovered something exciting. Ain't it always the way? I've been studying more Rembrandt, and I decided to try an experiment with mixed media: oil and digital.





I would love to paint my fourth year film in traditional oils, but I also realize that it's extremely time consuming, plus I also need a lot more training with oil. Here, I've started the piece with a traditional oil block-in (above) and finished it in Photoshop (right). I know I can't be the first one to do this; however, it's really exciting because I feel it has the texture and look of traditional media, but I was able to use layers and undo!

This study is from a black and white textbook photograph of a Rembrandt, but I still got what I wanted to get from the exercise. I'll just have to get to Europe to paint from the real pieces. Someday...

2 comments:

sam said...

Hey Jamie. I like the painting!

There are a couple really talented digital painters who switch between digital and oil without much difference in finish at all.

You should look up Jon Foster, and Justin Sweet. I've seen plenty of work by both of them that I've thought was traditional when it was actually digital, and vice versa. Pretty impressive stuff. If you're trying to achieve that natural media look on the computer, they're both worth referencing.

Eduardo Avenir II said...

thats really cool! I've never used oils myself and a lot of people tell me its the most fun you'll have painting. I was going to buy some oils last yr then i saw how much they cost....>_> Oh and on your recent life drawing post, i'll be holding you to that 3-4x xtra life drawing!